Gwendolyn Sasse's Publications
The Crimea Question: Identity, Transition, and Conflict, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2007;
Europeanization and Regionalization in the EU's Enlargement to Central and Eastern Europe: the Myth of Conditionality, London: Palgrave, 2004 (co-authored with James Hughes and Claire Gordon);
Ethnicity and Territory in the Former Soviet Union: Regions in Conflict, London: Frank Cass, 2001 (co-edited with James Hughes).
Articles and Chapters
- The Foundations of Ethnic Politics, or a House Built on Sand?', Nations and Nationalism Debate 2010, Nations and Nationalism, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2011.
- 'The Council of Europe as a Norm Entrepreneur: The Political Strengths of a Weak International Institution', in Neil Walker, Jo Shaw & Stephen Tierney (eds), Europe's Constitutional Mosaic, Hart Publishing, 2011.
- 'Ukraine: The Role of Regionalism', Journal of Democracy, Vol. 21, No. 3, July 2010.
- 'The European Neighbourhood Policy and Conflict-Management: A Comparison of Moldova and Georgia', Ethnopolitics, 8, 3-4, 2009, pp. 369-386;
- 'The Politics of Conditionality: The Norm of Minority Protection before and after EU Accession', Journal of European Public Policy, Vol. 15, No. 6, 2008, pp. 842-860;
- 'The European Neighbourhood Policy: Conditionality Revisited for the EU's Eastern Neighbours', Europe-Asia-Studies, Vol. 60, No. 2, 2008, pp. 295-316;
- 'Review Symposium: Kymlicka's odyssey - lured by norms into the rocks of politics', Ethnicities, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2008; pp. 265-270;
- 'The Political Rights of National Minorities: Lessons from Central and Eastern Europe', in: Wojciech Sadurski (ed), Political Rights under Stress in 21st Century Europe, Oxford: Oxford University Press (Academy of European Law Series), 2007, pp. 239-282;
- 'A Research Agenda for the Study of Migrants and Minorities in Europe', Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2005, pp. 655-71 (co-authored with Eiko Thielemann);
- 'Securitization or Securing Rights? Exploring the Conceptual Foundations of Policies towards Minorities and Migrants in Europe', Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2005, pp. 673-93;