Georgian Language at Oxford
The Oxford School of Global and Area Studies (OSGA) is very proud of its thriving Georgian Language programme and, with well over 30 students taking Georgian Language classes each year, it represents an essential component of the commitment that REES has to Georgian Studies.
And…. Georgian could be for you!! So, look out for our new Michaelmas Term 2021 Timetable.
Dates and Times
Classes take place twice a week on weekday evenings (usually Tuesday and Thursday) and last one hour. Classes start in week 1 of Michaelmas Term and continue for 8 weeks in Hilary Term and Trinity Term. See here for term dates.
Timetable – to follow soon, along with confirmation regarding mode of teaching (in person, online, hybrid). Please check back here in mid/late September.
We are grateful for the support that the Georgian Programme has received from the Marjory Wardrop Foundation and the Shota Rustaveli Foundation in recent years. This has enabled us to offset the cost of Georgian language teaching and we remain committed to making the very best quality courses accessible to the growing community of students, scholars and others that are interested in learning Georgian.
Current students of Oxford University - £65.00 per academic term
Alumni, staff or retired staff of Oxford University - £95.00 per academic term
External to Oxford - £145.00 per academic term
Levels and entry requirements
We offer Georgian language at 4 levels:
- Beginners Georgian – for those with no, or very little, knowledge of Georgian*.
- Pre-Intermediate Georgian – for those completing the beginners class or that have accumulated knowledge of Georgian to an appropriate level*.
- Intermediate Georgian – for those who have completed pre-intermediate Georgian and/or have a solid knowledge of the basics of the Georgian language*.
- Translation level - This class is for more advanced students who have been learning Georgian for two or three years.
* It is essential that you contact our Georgian language teacher, Lia Chokoshvili, at email@example.com BEFORE enrolling, to ensure that there are spaces on the appropriate course.
How to enrol?
Please enrol here, once you have corresponded with Lia Chokoshvili. Please let Lia know that you have enrolled so she can make sure your place is confirmed.
Note: complete beginners can only start in October each year while students at higher levels are invited to contact
Lia Chokoshvili concerning availability.
Comments from past Georgian Students
“Despite being half Georgian myself, I only started learning the language through the Georgian Programme here with the wonderful Lia Chokoshvili. In just three terms, I went from not having the first clue about the Georgian alphabet to being able to converse with my baby cousins living in Kutaisi at a basic level. Lia has given me the tools and foundation to keep learning and practicing the language and for this I am so grateful. The language is unlike any other and it was a great honour to have started learning it in Oxford, with an amazing professor, and among such an enthusiastic group of students. Georgian class was the perfect mix of challenge and fun — a welcome respite from a week of note-taking and essay-drafting as well as a convenient platform for diving deeper into the Georgian culture.” Tina, class of 2020-21.